Global Travel & Tourism Partnership
International Travel Writing Competition
CRITERIA & GUIDELINES FOR ENTRY IN 2013
The competition will be open to all students currently enrolled in GTTP member schools in our members: Brazil, Canada, China, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Russia, South Africa, the United Kingdom.
The Aim of the competition is:
To provide another opportunity for GTTP Learners to research and write about tourism; to improve written communication skills; to generate articles for the GTTP website; and to highlight travel writing as a career option.
- Each entrant must determine his/her own area of focus and present an article (essay) based on research or experience. The article must, however, reflect the topic for 2013:
Secret Trails of My Country
(exploring and exposing one or more natural, historic or cultural attractions that are often overlooked; commercial venues, such as amusement parks, are not eligible as a subject)
- Entrants may submit only one original article which must be accompanied by an entry form (available from your teacher or by clicking here).
- Entries must be certified by your Teacher and/or the GTTP Director in your country.
- Each must be at least 800 words in length, but not more than 1000 words. All articles must be typed and double-spaced on letter-sized paper or submitted in this format as an attached file to an email.
- Entries must be accompanied by a minimum of two and a maximum of four captioned photographs which reflect the text of the article. The photographs do not have to be the work of the writer, but writers must secure the photographer’s permission to use the pictures. This written permission must be attached to the article. (See sample “Permission to Use” included here). Photos may be submitted electronically with the entry. Permission slips can be scanned and submitted electronically, but original copies must be provided in addition either by fax or mail to the GTTP Director in your country.
- The article must include a bibliography detailing the sources of information. If the source of information was your own on-site research, this must be noted.
4. JUDGING CRITERIA:
- Relevance to theme/Content
- Relevance of photographs to text and relevance of the caption
- Originality & Style
5. PRIZES, INCENTIVES & AWARDS
- National Prize Package:
- US $200 for first place winner
- US $100 for second place winner
- International Certificate of Achievement
- Advisor/Teacher of Winning First Place Entrant Nationally
- Day Trip to top Attraction/Weekend at Hotel
Note: Cash prizes may be used for the winner’s travel and/or education and will be dispersed by the national GTTP Director.
- All entries will be the property of the Global Travel & Tourism Partnership
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION
Entries with completed entry and photo permission forms must be submitted to your national Director’s office by 2013 March 30.
WHERE TO SEND YOUR ENTRY
For the address of the Director for your country, go to www.gttp.org/pages/contact, and locate your country.
If you submit your entry by mail, address it to:
GTTP International Travel Writing Competition
Followed by the Director’s address
If you submit your entry by email, put in the subject line:
GTTP Travel Writing Competition
The following GTTP member countries and their schools are eligible:
- Hong Kong
- South Africa
- United Kingdom